Saturday, December 29, 2007

G-d's intended Weekend

So, as my internet is very sporadic, I cannot post as often as I'd like to - I'm still writing every night, but I can only post when my upstairs neighbor's internet is working. Such is life!

Thursday is the last day of the work week for Israelis, and even though we are a school run by Americans, we follow the Israeli schedule. Friday is the only real weekend for religious Israelis (Dati), but most of the day is devoted to cooking for shabbos. Many people go out on Thursday night, knowing that they don't have to be up early for work on Friday. For secular Israelis, they get Friday and Saturday as their weekend, but for the Dati, it's just Friday day. And, Shabbat in Jerusalem starts 40 minutes earlier than anywhere else in Israel. Saturday night is treated like a Sunday night everywhere else - you have to go to sleep at a normal time so you can get up and go to work on Sunday. It's a hard concept to deal with for people who aren't used to it; for me, I'm losing a day of my weekend. For me, Shabbos is the only day off.

Classes were good, we had almost the same schedule as our Sunday, and the day went by quickly.
First class was about Rachel and Leah, and we did a chevruta (paired learning) and then a shiur/discussion on what we learned. I found out that Leah and Rachel were twins - and that Leah was an incredibly great person. She overcame all her hardships in life, for which Hashem rewarded her. She was supposed to marry Esau, who was a horribly wicked person, and so Leah cried day in and day out while she prayed to G-d. For this, G-d rewarded her with marry Yakov first. Leah had to endure a marriage to a man who didn't love her as much as she loved him. Yakov loved Rachel first, but Leah gave up her entire happiness because she knew she was the builder of the Jewish people. She was rewarded with giving birth to 6 children, which was twice as many as any of the other wives. Since Yakov had 4 wives, and he was to have 12 children, each wife was supposed to have 3, but Leah had 6 because she endured the hardship of a less than perfect marriage. Also, Rachel died much earlier, so Leah not only got to spend the rest of her life with Yakov, but she is also buried next to him in the Cave at Machpelach. (This is the place in Chevron where all our founding fathers and mothers are buried - except for Rachel, she's buried on the road because she sinned.)
The second class of the day is the only class I have not taught by a Rebbitzen or Rabbi. She's a former student of She'arim, and she's very ...enthusiastic. She teaches a great class on Prayer - we're learning about the 3 different shabbat amidahs (the amidah is the silent prayer). She's great, but she's very ...loud. Like I said, she's enthusiastic.
After lunch, we had another parsha (chapter of Torah) class, another halacha (Jewish law) class on muktsa, and the last class is called "Finding Light in Darkness." This one was about the holocaust. I didn't go to this class because I decided to spend some time with a tutor so that I could learn Rashi. If you remember from my post about Sunday, Rashi isn't exactly the easiest thing to read. I didn't realize the level of classes I was in would do Rashi - but in the Rachel and Leah class we were told to read the Rashi and translate it. As I had no idea what was going on, I decided to sit down with a tutor and learn. So, I did! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and now I gained a useful skill that will help me in every class.

After class, most people decided to go out to town or the Old City. As I had gone out every night for the past three days, I decided to stay in. It was time to do laundry, and I just wanted to chill out.
Now it's Friday and I'm just doing a lot of relaxing before Shabbat. I'm going to two different people's houses for meals - She'arim set it up, so I have to be on my best behavior.
Shabbat Shalom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you learned some good things about Leah. Remember how pissed off I was when I was trapped at that Friday night dinner where I was really uncomfortable? The rabbi said that when Leah stopped publicly praising or thanking G-d, G-d stopped giving Leah children. And that really bothered me. I was like - what, like Leah didn't suffer enough?

CreateEvity said...

Yeah - I hear you - the problem is, those that are tzaddikim are judged more harshly and fall harder than those are are normal. leah was definitely a tzaddeikis.. Poor thing - her whole life was suffering.
How are you? I miss talking to you!

Anonymous said...

I think God's intended weekend is Friday-Saturday-Sunday.

Then you can prepare for Shabbos easy, have Shabbos, have Saturday Night too, and then have the "weekend day with going to bed early", Sunday.